Cable cross-section sizing
elec calc™ allows the calculation of cable cross-section according to the standard, to the environment, to the method of installation and to the users’ constraints.
The user enters the nature of the cable (copper or aluminum), the type of cable (mono or multi-conductor) and the different criteria of the laying environment: length, ambient temperature, soil resistivity, method of installation, grouping of conductors,…
elec calc™ deduces automatically the correction factors to apply to the required current taking also into account the THD flowing in the cable.
Whether the RGIE/AREI standard is used, the user can declare the cable as a vital circuit and enter the maximum length subject to fire and the related temperature.
The minimum cross-section of each of the conductors (phase, neutral and protective conductor) is calculated according to the overload protection setting and other relevant normative rules and then compared to the selected cross-sections.
elec calc™ also calculates and checks the thermal stresses of the cables by taking into account the short-circuit currents and the settings of the protection against short-circuits as well as the voltage drops.
Detailed alerts are displayed in case of discrepancy with the normative rules.
These calculations are carried out in real time on all the cables each time a change is made to the installation.
Furthermore elec calc™ proposes an automatic sizing feature. Select the cables and click the convenient button in the ribbon bar: the cables are sized according to the overload protection and the user’s preferences that can be set in the configuration window.
It is possible to define a cable either either by entering the detailed data or by choosing a reference among the available catalogs, what makes elec calc™ the ideal tool for sizing the cable cross-sections according to the user’s needs.
The following standards are used to calculate the cable ampacities:
- HV: AFNOR NF C 13-200
- LV: IEC 60364-5-52 or AFNOR NF C 15-100
Discover more features
Configuration and customization
- Client-server application
- Licenses and system requirements
Electrical calculation features
- One-line diagram
- HV/LV real-time calculation
- Power balance
- Short-circuit currents calculation
- Cable cross-section calculation
- Operating modes
- Discrimination (selectivity)
- Limitation and cascading (back-up)
- Multi-sources and multi-receivers
- Voltage drops
- Compensation of the reactive energy
- Earthing systems
- Electrical calculation solutions for Energy efficiency
- Electrical calculation software for the hospitals
- Electrical calculation software for electrical installations
- Electrical calculation for Solar industry
- Electrical calculation software for Street lighting
- Electrical calculation software for engineering