Limitation & cascading
By limiting the peak value of short-circuit current passing through it, a current-limiting circuit-breaker or a limiting fuse permits the use, in circuits downstream of its location, of switchgear and circuit components having much lower short-circuit breaking capacities, and thermal and electromechanical withstand capabilities than would otherwise be necessary.
Reduced physical size and lower performance requirements lead to substantial economy and to the simplification of installation work.
Most national standards admit the cascading technique, on condition that the amount of “let through” energy by the limiting circuit-breaker is less than the energy downstream circuit-breakers and components are able to withstand without damage.
In practice this can only be verified for circuit-breakers by tests performed in a laboratory in accordance with standard IEC 60947-2.
Such tests are carried out by manufacturers who provide the information in the form of tables showing the increased breaking capacity of a circuit-breaker placed downstream a limiting circuit-breaker., so that users can confidently design a cascading scheme based on the combination of recommended circuit-breaker types. Manufacturers also provide curves showing the limited “let through” energy and the limited peak current according to the prospective short-circuit current.
Concerning the fuses, the limitation capabilities are defined by the set of standards IEC 60269.
elec calc™ takes into consideration the data provided by the manufacturers to calculate the electrical installation. The main advantages are:
Discover more features
Configuration and customization
- Client-server application
- Licenses and system requirements
Electrical calculation features
- One-line diagram
- HV/LV real-time calculation
- Power balance
- Short-circuit currents calculation
- Cable cross-section calculation
- Operating modes
- Discrimination (selectivity)
- Limitation and cascading (back-up)
- Multi-sources and multi-receivers
- Voltage drops
- Compensation of the reactive energy
- Earthing systems
- Electrical design software for aeronautics
- Electrical design software for automotive
- Electrical design software for shipbuilding
- Electrical design software for railway
- Electrical calculation solutions for Energy efficiency
- Electrical design for custom machines
- Electrical design software for panel builders
- P&ID design software for Oil & Gas
- P&ID design software for water treatment
- Electrical calculation software for the hospitals
- P&ID and electrical design for the pharmaceutical industry
- Electrical schematic software
- Electrical CAD software
- 3D electrical design software
- Wire harness design software
- Piping diagrams software
- Hydraulic and pneumatic design software
- LV / MV electrical calculation software
- Photovoltaic PV software
- PV installations sizing software
- Outdoor lighting calculation software
- Electrical Content Portal